After waiting more than 2 hours for my roadside assistance to come by and give my car battery a jump start, I decided that it was time to buy a portable jump starter (not to mention a new battery).
If you haven’t been in the market for a jump starter lately, what you will find might surprise you. I can remember about a decade ago there were only perhaps two choices. TWO! Now there must be more than two dozen!
I did some research online and ended up purchasing an EverStart Maxx Jump Starter model K05.
How to Use the EverStart Maxx K405 Jump Starter
Besides the compact size, what I love about this little unit is that you don’t need a host car.
- To use this jump starter, have the key in the off position. Now I’ve accidentally used it in the on position, but the point here is to let most of the juice stay in the battery to start it and not run the dash lights or the bell that tells you the car is on. If your car plays a bell that tells you the key is in the ignition, even when it’s off, take the key out!
- Pop the hood and use the hood stand if you have one to ensure the hood doesn’t fall on your head. Turn the EverStart Maxx to the ON position.
- Hook up the red connector to the positive (usually marked in red or with a red cable or it might have a plus (+) sign on the battery cable end or on the battery post itself).
- Hook up the black connector to any metal part of the car body. If you can’t find one, you can hook it up to the other battery terminal, but it is better to connect it to a metal portion of the car.
- Watch the indicator light on the side of the jump starter. It should turn green after about one minute or less.
- Once the light is green, you can go inside the car and start it. If the light should glow both green and red, that means it isn’t properly connected or that you have only connected one side.
This video, while certainly not professional, shows how to connect the jump starter. The gentleman in this video, a tow truck driver, shows how easy it is to use in a real-life situation.
More About the EverStart Maxx K05 Jump Starter
I don’t remember which brand my old jump starter was, but it was about half the size of a car battery and weighed almost as much!
What impressed me right off was how small the EverStart K05 was! It’s really not much larger than a Snickers bar, not counting the cables. I can fit this in the center console, in the glove box, in the door panel, or in my purse and still have plenty of room!
Of course, there is a separate charging cable when the unit needs to be recharged, a cigarette lighter adapter for charging the unit as you are driving, and a little carrying bag to keep all these things neat and organized.
The EverStart Maxx K05 is only designed to jump-start an engine up to a 6.0L engine. I have a V6 4.0 engine and let me tell you, this started my SUV with ZERO problems.
The battery wasn’t 100% dead, I’m sure, but I couldn’t even get the dash lights to come on.
I want to tell you that I was really, really impressed, and it takes a lot to impress me nowadays.
Features about the EverStart Maxx Jump Starter I liked
There are quite a few things I like about this little jewel.
First, it came with the lithium battery, so I didn’t have to go search for one. Don’t you hate items that don’t come with the batteries?
Second, this has a dual USB charging port, so you can keep it with you to charge your cell phone or tablet. This comes with a set of adapters so you should be able to charge just about anything, regardless of the fitting.
This jump starter also has an LED warning light, so if you hook things up wrong, you will know.
There is a small flashlight on one end, but I’m not sure how practical that might be.
The EverStart Maxx also has an LCD Power Display to tell you how much power the unit has left in it before you need to recharge it.
Features about the EverStart Maxx Jump Starter I Didn’t Really Like
I really don’t mind that the EverStart K05 isn’t powerful enough for a V8 engine. I haven’t had one of those in quite a while.
However, there are a few things I believe EverStart could do to improve this handy device in the future, including:
- Offering a solid carrying case. The bag makes everything seem clunky. A solid case would be a big improvement, in my opinion.
- Make the LCD display a bit brighter. Maybe I need glasses, but I find that I have to hold it at just the right angle to read it.
- The flashlight seems like a waste of space. I might be nitpicking, but you certainly can’t use it to look at the battery and make your connections at the same time. I would rather use my handheld flashlight to look for things if I needed to.
- There could be 4 USB ports but considering the size, perhaps not. If they got rid of the flashlight, however…
While I have only used the EverStart Maxx K05 Jump Starter one time, it worked like a charm for me. There are a few negative reviews, however, this jump starter (like many products) must be fully charged and used according to the directions.
For those with smaller engines (which most vehicles use today) I have found this to be a fantastic jump starter and it is far less than other jump starters. I love the small size and the handy USB ports. You can’t go wrong with this jump starter unless you have a V8 motor.